Tuesday, September 25, 2007

It started off in a ‘usual’ kind of a way but in my mind but I actually wondered about that afterwards.

Cereal for brekky? “No”! emphatically from both of them. “Well, Cheerios then?” “Yes” from E3 (and 7/8). OK – at least one is settled. “Yes,” then from the other. Good I thought. The Cheerios sat in the bowl - with spoon protruding! Oh well…

“Toast L2?”
“Yes.” Out comes the toaster and within a minute or two, golden brown crispy hot toast pops up. Mmm… smells great even though my breakfast had not been long before. Margarine and vegemite spread, cut into baby triangles to tempt the appetite and laid out on the special yellow plastic plate. No way. A nibble was about all it got. The rest I found, thrown amongst the plastic implements used for playing with coloured dough. Guess it will soon be morning tea time.

“Outside Gan-ma.”
“ Well, OK but the grass is still wet so shoes on please.”

Off he runs, before I’ve had time to blink, oblivious to the dampness of the ground. Back soon with socks grainy from the path. No matter.

Clean your teeth? Well OK but it’s more fun playing with the water. Give up with moans that he wants his too-bush. In the bag it goes to await mummy’s return from work tonight.

10am time for E3(and 7/8)s eye drops. No way Jose! Rolling on the floor, he and I looking for all the world like two crocs rolling in the river, twisting and turning, arms flailing, protecting… exhausted I aim for the appropriate area of the face. Plop, a bit too low but hopefully the rubbing arm will push a smidgen into the said eye. Might be easier to wait for the afternoon nap I think.

Howls from L2 – up, up! Down, down, I think. It seems an imaginary something is coming after him. Placated, I put him down to run off while I contemplate a cuppa – if I’m quick enough.

I hear something dropping on the polished floorboards. Oh boy, I was quick enough for the cuppa but not for the box of macaroni and shoelaces. E2 had managed to leave a trail all through the house of these large tube shaped pieces of pasta. Rescued and placed high up so they can’t get scattered again – at least not today. Oh, oh, I missed the ones which had made it into an empty plastic jar and were now spread amongst the coloured dough. I move off to see what E3 (and 7/8) is up to. Ah - quietly playing his game with train tracks so at least he’s settled.

11.00am – all is quiet while both boys sit quietly eating small round crispy crackers in front of the TV. I think I might quit while I’m ahead. At least for a little while!

Didn’t last too long. Outside enjoying the warm spring sun, Grandma takes a little spell to sit and contemplate. Well I did contemplate – on what noises were being heard in the distance by L2 who seems to have extremely acute hearing.

“Wots dat?” he says.

“I think it’s a fire engine” say I, straining my failing hearing for the high pitched ‘nee-nah’ whine miles away.

“Wots dat?” again.
Maybe it’s the neighbour at work in his shed.

“Wots dat?” – again.
Oh just the birdies in the trees.

On and on it went, me trying to be more and more inventive each time until at last he spied a trail of ants on the bricks alongside where I was sitting.

“Stamp, stamp – I get them Gan-ma”
Well yes, he got them OK but think it a much better idea to brush them away with the little broom. Actually kept him occupied for quite a while until he spied a worm lying on the path, covered in dirt and certainly passed its use by date. A little frightened by this ‘phenomena’ L2 backed off a bit. I’ll get it with the dustpan, I told him. With a swing of the arm, poor worm was flung out onto the grass, racing toddler’s feet after it trying to find where it had landed. Well of course it was well and truly ‘gone’ but it used up a few more minutes of activity until something else took his eye.

“Wots dat?” I was at the bench preparing some sandwiches for lunch.

“Oh, Grandma’s making lunch” I replied.

“I have some?”

“Of course – we’ll put it on the table and all sit down and have it.”

Not good enough Grandma! Hand outstretched he clearly indicated he was ‘ready for it now – right now! Oh well – Grandma handed the sandwich and off L2 trotted to the little ride on car nearby. One tiny sandwich consumed, the hand was out for another. Just as he took a bite, the little car stuck on the mat on the floor and whoops, over it went, toddler, sandwich and all. Tears ensued and probably hurt feelings which only cuddles could help.

I think naptime is very near. Into bed with special blankie – a few blinks and he’d reached the land of Nod.

Once he wakes, we’ve only got the rest of the afternoon to go. Should be fun! But I wouldn’t miss it for quids!

No comments: