Monday, August 27, 2007

It seemed like a good idea at the time – and it was!

It’s finished! I guess it hasn’t really taken that long when I look back. Probably about 3 weeks with a few rows done here and there. I’m happy with the way it’s turned out. To think that when I began it, I didn’t have any idea how it would finish.

I used 4 ply yarn and size 3mm knitting needles and cast on 3 stitches to begin. Increasing one stitch at the beginning of each row, I knitted stocking stitch until there were 300 stitches on the needle. Then I started decreasing 1 stitch at the beginning of each row until 3 remained. The little edging caused by the increasing and decreasing was quite acceptable and many would probably have left this baby blanket like that but I decided to finish it off with 3 rows of crochet stitching. The first 2 rows of just double crochet (I think in the US it may be known as single) and the 3rd rows I made a kind of fan by making 6 double crochet into one stitch, missing 2 dc and joining the ‘fan into the next. I think it has given the blanket a kind of ‘new baby’ look about it.

I’m not sure what I’ll do with it yet but since our family have all planned for no more babies, I might just put it away in a ‘hope drawer’ for the first great-grandbub! Oh yes, I realise it might be a good few years yet before that happens, but I was just thinking… maybe I mightn’t be capable of making a baby blanket by then!

No comments: